Ankle and Hip Mobility/ Flexibility
MOBILITY VS. FLEXIBILITY
- Increase in muscle and joint temperature
- Increase in range of motion
- Active stretching
- Should be performed before workouts
- Lengthening of soft tissue
- Passive Stretching
- Should be performed after workouts
- Angle between shin and top of foot
- Lack of dorsiflexion is one of the biggest problems that hinders lower body movements
- Lack of dorsiflexion can be from tight calf muscles, inflexibility of the ankle joint, or tight Achilles
–How can I improve my squat to get lower?
- Improving your dorsiflexion will allow you to get deeper into your squats without shifting your weight to your toes.
–Why can’t I keep my heels on the ground when I perform a lunge or squat?
- Without adequate dorsiflexion in your ankles, once you reach a certain depth you will not be able to get further without your weight shifting from your heels to your toes.
–What can happen if I don’t improve my dorsiflexion mobility/flexibility?
- Your performance will suffer, and you will have a greater risk of pain and/or injury.
- Complex parts of the body
- Ball and socket joints
- Perform Flexion/Extension, Abduction/Adduction and External/Internal Rotation
–Why can’t I get to 90 degrees on my squat?
- If your hip flexors are tight, your hips will not be able to get close enough to your chest.
–Why do I have pain in my inner thigh when performing a low lateral shuffle?
- Having tight hip abductors/adductors will make it difficult to achieve a low lateral shuffle position which can lead to pain in the inner thigh area.
–What can happen if I don’t improve my mobility/flexibility in my hips?
- Just like in the ankles, without proper mobility/flexibility your performance will suffer, and your risk of pain and/or injury will increase.
Ankle Mobility/Flexibility Drills
- Dorsiflexion Stretch
- Foam Roll (Soft Tissue)
- Active Calf/Achilles/Ankle Joint Stretch
Hip Mobility/Flexibility Drills
- Knee Grab
- Under the Hurdles
- Over the Hurdles
- Fire Hydrant Away From the Body
- Fire Hydrant Toward the Body
- Pigeon Pose
- Hip Flexor/Quad Stretch
-EarthFIT Coach Steve